The goals of the North-East Asian Regional GOOS (NEAR-GOOS) are as follows:
- To improve ocean services in the region;
- To provide data and information useful in the mitigation of the effects of natural disasters caused by waves, storm surges, and sea ice;
- To increase the efficiency of fishing vessels;
- To provide information useful in pollution monitoring;
- To monitor parameters useful to mariculture, particularly with regard to harmful algal blooms;
- To provide information on the health of the coastal zone for recreation purposes;
- To provide data sets required for data assimilation, modeling and forecasting.