Category "B" Programme in Nautical Cartography
The Republic of Korea (ROK) sponsors Nautical Cartography programme recognized at Category "B" level by the FIG-IHO-ICA International Board on Standards of Competence for Hydrographic Surveyors and Nautical Cartographers (IBSC).
Summary of the Programme
The Programme consists of four Modules and one Specialism.
A certificate recognising the successful completion of a Category B accredited course in nautical cartography will be awarded to the students that successfully complete the programme.
- Module 1 represents the foundation module of the programme. It introduces students to the basics of marine data processing, chart work and cartography, building the foundation for Module 2.
- Module 2 Part A includes extensive practical exercises, assignments, hands-on instruction and continuous testing of newly acquired skills.
|Module 1 - Foundations of Marine Geospatial Information|
|Unit 1||Introduction to Charts and ENCs|
|Unit 2||Chart Compilation Concepts|
|Unit 3||ENC Data Concepts|
|Unit 4||Product Maintenance – Ways of Updating|
|Module 2 Part A - Marine Data Assessment, Compilation and Production|
|Unit 1||Chart Design and Planning (Chart Scheming)|
|Unit 2||Compiling Topography & Coastline|
|Unit 3||Compiling Bathymetry, including contouring|
|Unit 4||Compilation of other features|
|Unit 5||Product Finishing – ENCs and Paper Charts|
- Module 2 Part A (revision) and Part B include extensive practical exercises, assignments, hands-on instruction and continuous testing of newly acquired skills.
|Module 2 Part A (revision) and Part B - Marine Data Assessment, Compilation and Production|
|Unit 6||Evaluating Bathymetry (Advanced)|
|Unit 7||QC & Workflow|
|Unit 8||Complex Compilation|
|Unit 9||Product Finishing: Raster Charts & Printing|
- Module 3 contains the legal and scientific elements of the programme, including geology, oceanography and maritime law.
- Module 4 represents a self-contained course on Marine Spatial Data Infrastructures (MSDI), including the wider uses of hydrographic data with practical assessments to ensure comprehension.
- Specialism 1(Remote Sensing for Hydrographers) is based on the practical use of satellite and aerial imagery for chart compilation and cartography.
|Module 3 - Marine Environment & Context|
|Unit 1||Marine Geology|
|Unit 3||Maritime Law|
|Module 4 - Marine Spatial Data Infrastructures|
|Unit 1||Marine Data Products & Services|
|Unit 2||Marine Spatial Data Infrastructures|
|Unit 3||MSDI Applications|
|Unit 4||Marine Information Objects|
|Specialism 1 - Remote Sensing for Hydrographers|
|Unit 1||Photogrammetry Concepts and Techniques|
|Unit 2||Remote Sensing|
|Unit 3||Imagery Interpretation|